6 Days Kilimanjaro Trekking – Umbwe Route
The Umbwe route has a well-deserved reputation of being the most challenging route on Mount Kilimanjaro. Due to the fast ascent to high altitude, this route does not provide the necessary stages for acclimatization. Although the number of people on this trail is very low, the chances of success are also low. Umbwe is considered to be very difficult, taxing route – one that should only be attempted by strong hikers who are confident in their ability to acclimatize quickly to altitude.
Approaching from the south, the Umbwe route is a short, steep and direct climb. After reaching Barranco Camp, the trail turns east and traverses underneath Kilimanjaro’s Southern Ice Field on a path known as the Southern Circuit before summiting from Barafu. Descent is made via the Mweka route.
Day 1: Umbwe Gate to Umbwe Camp
Day 2: Umbwe Camp to Barranco Camp
Day 3: Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
Day 4: Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
Day 5: Barafu Camp to Uhuru Peak
Day 6: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate
- Kilimanjaro trekking according to the itinerary
- Professional, English-speaking guide
- Mountain crew (cook & porters)
- Overnight stays in hotels and mountain tents
- Camping equipment (tents, sleeping mats, chairs, tables etc.)
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Drinking water
- All national park fees
- All mentioned transfer
- Sleeping bag
- Alcoholic and soft drinks
- Visa fees
- Personal spending money for souvenirs etc.
- Travel insurance