7 Days Kilimanjaro Trekking – Machame Route
The Machame route, also known as the “Whiskey” route, is the most popular route on Kilimanjaro. Machame’s draw is in its scenic beauty. However, the trail is considered difficult, steep and challenging, particularly due to its shorter itinerary. Therefore this route is better suited for more adventurous folks or those with some high altitude, hiking or backpacking experience.
The route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from the south, beginning with a short drive from Moshi to Machame Gate. The path leads hikers through the rain forest to Shira Plateau. Here, many of Kilimanjaro’s routes converge. Then the route turns east and traverses underneath Kilimanjaro’s Southern Ice Field on a path known as the Southern Circuit before summiting from Barafu. Descent is made via the Mweka route.
Day 1: Machame Gate - Machame Camp
Day 2: Machame Camp - Shira 2 Camp
Day 3: Shira 2 Camp - Lava Tower
Day 4: Barranco Camp - Karanga Camp
Day 5: Karanga Camp - Barafu Camp
Day 6: Barafu Camp - Uhuru Peak
Day 7: Mweka Camp - Mweka Gate
- Kilimanjaro trekking according to the itinerary
- Professional, English-speaking guide
- Mountain crew (cook & porters)
- Overnight stays in hotels and mountain tents
- Camping equipment (tents, sleeping mats, chairs, tables etc.)
- Meals according to the itinerary
- Drinking water
- All national park fees
- All mentioned transfer
- Sleeping bag
- Alcoholic and soft drinks
- Visa fees
- Personal spending money for souvenirs etc.
- Travel insurance